Friday, December 3, 2010

Audience made me an action hero – Prithiviraj



Audience made me an action hero. All my commercial action masala films were widely accepted but my offbeat films were not talked about or even been able to get theatres,” lamented Prithiviraj the multilingual star who has acted in Tamil- Malayalam and Telugu films. His recent release was Mani Rathinam directed Raavan in which he played a tough cop on the trail of a bandit.

He entered Tamil films in a negative role and out shadowed the hero of Kana Kandein. Mozhi in which he played the lead was yet another movie which was a box office success. He pointed out that a Malayalam offbeat film Veetilayku ulla vayi which was the opening film in the Mumbai International film fest and screened at the Cairo Film fest has still not been able to get to theatres in Kerala.

“ I have invested a lot of money on Urmi directed by celebrated cinematographer Santosh Sivan. A bilingual in Tamil and Malayalam has technicians from UK and Hollywood. It deals with an unpublicized trait of Vasco da Gama who came to Kerala. I play the key role. Apart from me Tabu, Prabhudeva, Genelia, Vidya Balan and many others are starring in the film.

The story reveals that it was Vasco Da Gama who brought in the divide and rule policy to create problems for the royalty,” revealed the actor about his dream project.

Currently he is acting in two Malayalam films. One film “City of God” follows the East European style of film narration and has three layers to the story he revealed. “ Camera is also one character in the film.” Myself and my brother Indrajit act in the film but on screen we never meet. In fact the script was lying with me for a long time and due to lack of time I could not direct it,” said Prithiviraj who was in a hurry to catch a flight to Goa to attend the International film fest which is screening Raavan.